Ear, Nose and Throat treatment
What is Otolaryngology?
Otolaryngology is the diagnosis and treatment of diseases and disorders related to ear, nose and throat (ENT) any conditions of the ear, nose and throat require medical care by qualified and efficient doctors in this field, known as ENT specialist.
Under ENT, following disorders connected with ear, nose and throat are treated:
- Ear infection
- Hearing disorders
- Language disorders
- Laryngeal cancer
- Smell and taste disorder
- Throat Infection (Throat illness)
- Snoring and sleep disorder
- Speech disorders and voice disorder
- Vocal cord disorder
- Thyroid m and parathyroid
- Head and Neck Cancer.
Ear infection can be very dangerous, sometimes even leading to partial or total hearing loss. So these need to be attended in the initial stage itself by expert ENT specialist.
Many nose and throat illness are found common among children. Mostly these are neglected as minor problems. But at times these can develop into major problems which can become permanent. Sinusitis for example occurs in children often. Sinus infection happens after an upper respiratory infection or common cold. Allergies also can lead to sinusitis due to swelling in nasal tissues.
Tonsillitis is also a common problem, resulting in sour throat, fever, headache, nausea and vomiting, painful swallowing, stomach ache etc.
In all the above conditions, proper diagnosis and early treatment is a must.
Following are some of the main surgical procedures under ENT treatment:
- Congenital anomalies of the ear.
- Functional endoscopic sinus surgery.
- Head and neck cancer surgeries.
- Laser surgery for several head and neck lesions.
- Micro laryngeal surgery.
- Reconstructive middle ear surgery.
- Revision ear surgery.
- Septuplets and stentorian.
- Surgery for snoring and sleep apnea.
- Surgery of the facial nerve.
All the ENT related problems are not surgical problems. Most of them can be treated through medication and other therapies. Surgeries should be resorted to only in cases where medication alone won’t work.