Preventive Health Check Up
‘A stitch in time saves nine’ so goes the proverb. Many a disease can be prevented or treated successfully if the symptoms are detected early. In many cases it has been seen that a particular disease is detected in its second or third stage. In such cases the treatment is time-consuming and very expensive. Preventive health check ups are very useful in early detection of all types of illness and risk factors. Preventive health check ups consist of a set of comprehensive tests specially designed according to individual needs. The test can be organ specific test or disease specific test.
The major tests done are the following: –
- Diabetes tests – consisting of “Blood Test”
- Blood sugar (fasting) and blood sugar (PP/PG)
- Tests related to Liver disease: SGOT, SGPT, GGTP, Bilirubin (direct/indirect), Alkaline phosphatase & Proteins. Pathology Tests – ESR+ CBC
- Tests for Heart Disease: Triglycerides, cholesterol (HDL cholesterol, LDL cholesterol, VLDL cholesterol, LDL/HDL ratio, Total cholesterol/HDL ratio)
- Tests for kidney disease: Urea, creatinine, uric acid, calcium, thyroid panel, urine routine.
- Diagnostic test: Ultrasonography (abdomen and pelvis), X-ray (chest),Tread Mill Test (TMT) for stress, ECG, mammography for females, Echocardiography etc.
Apart from these, eye test (eye check up), dental check up and gynecological examinations for females are done. Many clinics and hospitals in India have introduced attractive, comprehensive packages for general medical check up. These packages constitute a range of check ups to determine and prevent symptoms of possible disease. The best possible medical treatment is also made available by these hospitals. Depending on the age, gender, family history of disease and specific circumstances and milieu one works, one should get a complete full body checkup / medical check up occasionally to stay healthy and prevent illness.